Friday, December 1, 2017

Parenting

This week in Family Relations we talked about something that is applicable to nearly everyone, and was definitely applicable to my major. For those of you that do not know, I am a Marriage and Family Studies Major. I am going to be a stay-at-home mom and this degree will help me to be the best mom and wife that I can be. One of the subjects for this week addressed the purposes of parenting. I was ecstatic when I found out that we would be learning about this! I love the fact that it is our divine purpose on this earth to have families. What an incredible blessing given from God!

Some of the purposes of parenting are to have families, raise a good society, and strengthen relationships. One of the most important reasons is to protect and prepare children to survive and to thrive in the world that they live in. It is an interesting thought that our parents raised us to be ready to grow up and be safe in the real world. Now we do the same for our own children, and they will do the same for their children. It is a selfless act that is so admirable and spiritual.

So where do we turn to for tips on the best parenting styles? One of the best sources is the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is a perfect example of how to be good parents! For example, in 1 Nephi 1:1, it begins by saying, “I, Nephi, having been bon of goodly parents, therefore, I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father.” Before taking this class, I had never dug deep into this verse. To my surprise, it is a great example of great parenting for multiple reasons. This scripture explains that Nephi was taught by his father, Lehi. Lehi was taught first by his father, and then taught all his children of the truths of this gospel. This is an example of what we do within our own families. Nephi is simply a story of a dad and a family. We can look to their example for guidance in that manner! This scripture is inspiring because it talks about how Nephi was taught ALL things from his father, not just the gospel, because he wanted his children to be successful. I love this thought because it is how I want to be as a parent. I think that it is so pure to be our childrens’ teachers in not only the gospel, but in every aspect of their life. One way to help teach our children is to allow them to spend time with you! Yes, it is still important to spend time with them playing with dolls, having reading time and singing their favorite songs. However, children love to help you in the kitchen, help fold laundry, and run errands! Children learn how to act based off of experiences such as this!

One thing to remember when raising children is that natural consequences are important, and that our children will make mistakes. My teacher said something that really stuck out to me. He said, “can you imagine if God punished us every time we did something wrong?” We all make mistakes, but through Jesus Christ and our Father in Heaven, we can change our actions. It is important to place ourselves in our childrens shoes and see why some actions are being taken, and treat them as God treats us. One way that my teacher suggested to help them change their actions was to use the “I-statement,” which goes:


“When you _________, I feel ­­­­­­________, because ________. I would like, ________.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parenting with Love, Limits, and Latitude: Proclamation Principles and Supportive Scholarship

The chapter that I studied this week was titled Parenting with Love, Limits, and Latitude: Proclamation Principles and Supportive Scholars...